Safety Wardens' Responsibilities
- Complete the Fire Drill & Evacuation Responsibilities Reference Chart available under Forms section of Benson Tower’s website (www.BensonTowerNOLA.com) and post this conspicuously in areas where employees gather. This chart should be updated as needed and sent to the Benson Tower Management Office. On multiple tenant floors, the tenants should know the Safety Warden(s) and be familiar with the Reference Chart.
- Notify the Building Management of any emergency situation (504) 493-6760.
- In the event of an actual fire on your floor, make sure the voice EVAC has been transmitted.
- Direct the evacuation of your floor in accordance with the directions received.
- Inform employees of the Safety Warden responsible for the order to evacuate.
- Remind personnel that the elevators shall be used only when assisted by the fire department.
- Select the safest stairwell to use in evacuating the staff on the basis of the location of the fire and/or any information received from the fire command station. The fire warden will check the environment on the stairwell prior to entry for evacuation. If it is affected by smoke, an alternate stairwell shall be selected and the fire command station notified.
- Keep the fire command station informed of the means being employed for evacuation by the occupants of his/her floor and other particulars.
- Fire Safety Wardens must know where all handicapped occupants in their suites are located and keep an up-to-date list. Persons having any mobility impairment need to be considered prior to any need for evacuation. These occupants may need special assistance in the event of evacuation. Two buddies must be assigned to each handicapped person to assist with evacuation. It is necessary for Safety Wardens to notify the Building Management Office of any mobility impaired tenant that may require special assistance in the event of an evacuation. Such information should be reported to the Management Office on an updated Tenant Authorization & Emergency Contact Form available under the Forms section of Benson Tower’s website (www.BensonTowerNOLA.com) and submitted via the Service Request System. This information should also include women who are pregnant.